After 7 months old babies can have your food and it needn't be pureed. Purees of food delay speech development. It looked like baby led weaning and finger foods had been eclipsed.
I remember asking my clients at Basger's Pharmacy in North Bondi about bringing jars of baby food into the pharmacy and they said a very loud NO!
So, today's blog is a must. Don't be frightened of food. It's not that scary. Honest. I'm going to give you a few non-cook purees to arm yourself with. Tried and tested and nutritious. These are all safe for 6 month plus babies.
Just mash with a fork and use ripe fruit and avocados. They mash easier and are better to digest. Unripe bananas cause tummy ache.
- My all time favourite - banana and avocado. How yummo is this? I eat it too and love it. I've introduced it into the local fruit and veg shop in the Yorkshire Dales where my sis lives, with her bub, Freya. I'll let you know if their avocado sales rocket!
- Another top puree is pear (tinned in own juice), ricotta and dried mint. Easy as. Just use a fork to blend. A few small lumps will cause no harm and we only puree because we think bub wants smooth food. Some bubs are more than happy with a bit of texture. When mangoes are in season they make a great alternative and it is a Bondi favourite - mango, ricotta with a hint of mint. Yummo!
- If you're not keen on ricotta or can't find it then substitute with full fat yoghurt. Any full fat adult yoghurt will do. You do not need to use baby yoghurt for a baby, its all in the marketing.
- Another food cupboard staple is Weetbix, mix with baby's milk or full cream cows milk. No sugar needed - think of their teeth. One biscuit of Weetbix has as much iron as a serve of red meat! Genius.
- Baked beans are another superfood and puree really easily. Again just use a fork. They are rich in iron, fibre and have a low glycaemic index to fill bub's tum for ages.
- Canned tuna in olive oil mixed with ricotta and avocado.
So hopefully I've given you a few ideas. All easy purees, no cooking involved. All you need is a bowl and a fork to mash the foods. And the best bit is they're all really ridiculously healthy with no artificial fillers. Win-win!
If you want to learn more about how to help your baby sleep with diet is this blog: https://nurtureparenting.com.au/diet-and-baby-sleep/
Learn about my new online Nurture Sleep Program. It will stop the guesswork and give you:
✅ A tried and tested approach (20 years of helping families with baby & toddler sleep)
✅ Gentle baby sleep methods
✅ Holistic assessment
✅ Nurture & Nourish nutrition program - all recipes have sleep-inducing ingredients and a perfect balance for a good nights sleep
✅ Access to a closed Facebook group for one on one support from Karen and 90+ timecoded Facebook Live videos
✅ Prevention for under 4 months so no need to do sleep training ever
✅ And all at a low $97 for a very limited time
Can you tell Karen is getting rather excited for all you parents who need a good nights sleep and one that happens EVERY SINGLE NIGHT and not just in a blue moon ? .
CLICK on the link below to find out how my new online program can help you and your baby
- Tags: infant nutrition