I feel a need to revisit the iron deficiency issue and help you parents out there with an easy no-nonsense approach to how much your baby/child needs and how best to get the right amount.
- A baby from 0-6 months needs 0.2mg of iron a day. Iron in breast milk is more readily available and absorbed than iron in formula...not a widely known fact. My source for this info is NHMRC - Australia's National Health and Medical Research Council.
- Older babies (7-12mths) need significantly more iron - 7-11mg per day.
- At 1-3 years this increases rapidly to 9mg/day. Phew, an awful lot to get in isn't it especially for those fussy toddlers.
Which foods are highest in iron?
Now I'm going to break it down into iron points and I feel another Olympic theme coming along!
I'm giving 0.3mg of iron to 1 iron point and a baby over 6 months and toddler, up to 3 years old, needs 26 iron points a day
Gold Medal Category
- Red meat 1 serve (50g) = 5 iron points
- Sardines (5 small) = 6-7 iron points
- Weetbix 1 biscuit = 5 iron points
- Lentils, chickpeas and pulses = 4 iron points
- Chicken 1 serve (50g) = 4 iron point
- Milo 2 teaspoons = 7 iron points
Silver Medal Category
- Green vegies - spinach = 3 iron points
- Broccoli = 2 iron points
- Salmon (50g) = 2-3 iron points
- Egg (one medium) = 3 iron points
- Dried apricots (5) = 3 iron points
- Porridge oats (half a cup) = 2 iron points
Bronze Medal Category
- Milk 1 cup = 1 iron point
- Wholemeal/wholegrain bread 1 slice= 2 iron points
- White bread 1 slice = 1 iron point
- White rice (half a cup) = 1 iron point
- Pasta (half a cup) cooked = 1 iron point
- Fresh fruit (small apple size) = 1-2 iron points
- Cheese 1 slice = not even an iron point!
So there you have it The Iron Olympics! Hopefully I've given you an easy to follow guide to help you provide optimum nutrition for your bub.
Learn about my new online Nurture Sleep Program. It will stop the guesswork and give you:
✅ A tried and tested approach (20 years of helping families with baby & toddler sleep)
✅ Gentle baby sleep methods
✅ Holistic assessment
✅ Nurture & Nourish nutrition program - all recipes have sleep-inducing ingredients and a perfect balance for a good nights sleep
✅ Access to a closed Facebook group for one on one support from Karen and 90+ timecoded Facebook Live videos
✅ Prevention for under 4 months so no need to do sleep training ever
✅ And all at a low $97 for a very limited time
Can you tell Karen is getting rather excited for all you parents who need a good nights sleep and one that happens EVERY SINGLE NIGHT and not just in a blue moon ? .
CLICK on the link below to find out how my new online program can help you and your baby