Reading your baby's hunger cues accurately and responding appropriately help your baby feel secure. A baby who feels listened to is a much calmer baby.
Here are the feeding cues you need to know:
Early CuesThese are saying I'm hungry and include:
- Stirring and moving
- Mouth opening/rooting
- Turning his head towards the breast or your arm etc.
Mid CuesYour baby is now saying, "I'm really hungry now". These include:
- Increasing physical movement
- Putting their hand to their mouth
Late CuesBy now your baby is likely to be upset and possibly hysterical. He's now saying "calm me and feed me". These cues include:
- Agitated body movements
- Face colour turning red
- Skin to skin on your chest
- Soothing words
- Stroking and massage
- Lazy lion position over your arm and sway baby gently
Here is a helpful video demonstrating all of these feeding cues.