I get asked a lot for dessert ideas so I think it's timely I gave you a few! These are all from 4 months. For babies under 6 months blend the pudding with a food processor or bamix until very smooth. Babies over 6 months can have less pureed textures and over 7 months start to introduce lumpy food.
As you probably know the Australian Society of Immunologists and Allergists recommends starting solids now between 4-6 months of age and introducing one new food every 2-3 days, veggies first and fruit second.
We want to help those little tastebuds develop healthier preferences.
Babies over 6 months really benefit from main and dessert at lunch and evening meal. They need much more calories for sleep and growth. You can add cream, ricotta and mascarpone to dessert to make the food calorie dense. Dairy has double the calories of carbohydrates.
We know that diet is so important when we look at our baby sleep holistically. We also know that low Glycaemic Index (GI) carbs and protein really help sleep. The balance of nutrients is really crucial. Read my blog on this topic here: https://www.nurtureparenting.com.au/diet-and-baby-sleep/
Giving yoghurt without the balance of carbohydrates and fruit is a sleeping disaster and is counterproductive to sleep. I come across many many babies having just yoghurt for breakfast and for dessert. Read my blog on this topic here: https://www.nurtureparenting.com.au/foods-that-sabotage-baby-sleep/
A really great dessert recipe that ticks all the boxes for promoting sleepBanana and chia seed with coconut cream/milk - low glycemic index banana, protein - chia seeds and dairy free - coconut cream.
List of desserts promoting sleepAvocado and banana mashed together into a puree
Banana, strawberries and thickened cream with oats or quinoa flakes - pre-soak oats and quinoa flakes with water and a teaspoon of lemon juice for 12-24 hours to deactivate the phytic acid which inhibits mineral absorption. One cup of oats to 1.5 cups of water.
Brown rice pudding (made with full cream cows milk or coconut, almond milk) with pureed fruit (apple, pear or stone fruits - nectarine, peaches and plums, banana's). Add a pinch of cinnamon to lower the GI even further.
- http://thehowmade.com/how-to-make-brown-rice-pudding-for-babies. omit nutmeg for this recipe and instead add a pinch of ground cinnamon and some vanilla bean paste. Makes it taste much nicer :-)
- Bobs Red Mill does a really good brown rice that makes rice pudding in 5 minutes because it's finely milled. Most health food shops and About Life in the Eastern Suburbs stock this.
Purple Chia pudding
- This website is just divine. I'm in love!! http://littlefoodies.se/purple-chia-seed-pudding/
- Dairy-free dessert ideas. http://littlefoodies.se/Topics/dairy-free-baby-food/
- http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-food/recipe-breakfast-blueberry-chia-pudding/ This one sounds divine and has cashews in :-)
Older babies can pick up finger foods
- Pancakes or hotcakes made with ricotta and wholemeal or Spelt flour (no salt for babies and kids) https://youtu.be/BNkRJnyCCZo
- Wholemeal or spelt muffins made with fruit pieces - stone fruits, banana or pear are perfect -
- French toast made with brioche, banana and a tiny bit of maple syrup or agave nectar (I know its fructose but a little of what you fancy does you good and it's not white sugar!) https://youtu.be/kCI8XSr5qUI
- Peanut butter and organic cocoa nests with blueberries and raspberries https://youtu.be/YRmI1se_PSY
Hopefully, I've given you some really great dessert ideas to help your baby sleep much better :-) Yummo!
Baby still not sleeping?You can also access even more of my 3 decades of experience as a registered midwife and child and family health nurse via the Nurture Sleep Program. You can take your baby from sleepless to slumber in up to 7 easy lessons across 3 age groups once you join.
? FOODS that promote baby sleep
⏰ ROUTINE: easy, flexible, sleep-ready
? ENVIRONMENT: getting it right
?? DEVELOPMENT: changes, how these affect sleep
? SLEEP METHODS: secret tips that will change your life
It will stop the guesswork and give you:
✅ A tried and tested approach (20 years of helping families with baby & toddler sleep)
✅ Gentle baby sleep methods
✅ Holistic assessment
✅ Nurture & Nourish nutrition program – all recipes have sleep-inducing ingredients and a perfect balance for a good nights sleep
✅ Access to a closed Facebook group for one on one support from Karen and 90+ timecoded Facebook Live videos
✅ Prevention for under 4 months so no need to do sleep training ever
✅ And all at a low $97 for a very limited time